Recent Posts

Opinion

Steve Patterson: Soul-stirring voices in the Delta

July 2, 2019 // 2 Comments

“Then he said, “Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, ‘and behold the Lord passed by and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the Wind ;and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after [More]

Indoor dogs and 4% rain: glad we dodged the other 96%

June 13, 2018 // 0 Comments

At NAnewsweb.com, we have recently acquired a dog. Until then, we rarely noted the weather, unless the sirens were blasting. Prissy strayed up to our home a few months ago, caught our attention by eating out of our front porch bird feeder and hung around for the several weeks it took us to decide we wanted a dog. A [More]

Kratom: balm for opioid addicts or bane of law enforcement?

October 3, 2017 // 0 Comments

The kratom tree, specifically its glossy green leaves, has been used for centuries by Asians to boost energy, treat coughing, diarrhea, chronic pain and opium addiction. Kratom leaves Kratom, known in the scientific world as Mitragyna speciosa, is a member of the Rubiaceae family, which also includes coffee plants. [More]

How current Mississippi government’s vision for the future looks?

September 27, 2017 // 1 Comment

Could this be the future of the intersection of I-22 and Highway 30 in New Albany? Our friend Joe Wilson sent us this link to what purports to be a time-lapse video of an intersection in Ethiopia. Note the apparent absence of marked traffic lanes, turn lanes and signal lights. Wonder if their Department of [More]

New Albany man thankful for good emergency medical care

February 1, 2017 // 0 Comments

30 January 2017 Letter to the Editor, On 3 January 2017 I was working at home building on my latest project, a combination carport and storage building. About mid-morning I had a severe pain in my back that I normally associated with heartburn. I had had these before and discounted them, usually by taking a Prilosec [More]

The sorriest damned losers we’ve ever seen

December 29, 2016 // 2 Comments

New Albany, MS– Over a pre-Christmas drink at Tallahatchie Gourmet, a friend referred to Clinton supporters and the Obama Administration as the “sorriest damned losers” he’d ever seen. He is a fellow who knows whereof he speaks. He is a practical man with long experience as an effective [More]

Why I am voting for Theo Epstein for president

November 3, 2016 // 1 Comment

The two major political parties have again failed the American people. The quality of presidential candidates served up by both Democrats and Republicans during the last six election cycles has been mediocre at best. This year they’ve outdone themselves: we have on the Democratic ticket a leader of a long-lived [More]

Time to build a decent road to the “front door” of Baptist Hospital

August 24, 2016 // 0 Comments

New Albany, MS- It’s a street 20 feet wide (or less) and six-tenths of a mile long and designed to meet traffic conditions of 75 years ago. Relative to its importance to the health and well-being of every person in New Albany and Union County and thousands  in adjacent counties, it is simply the worst section [More]

With transparency in politics: still not “a dime’s worth of difference”

June 30, 2016 // 0 Comments

State Representative Margaret Rogers, a “galvanized” Republican,did not respond to numerous requests for comment on these issues. New Albany, MS– In a single generation Mississippi has gone from being a one-party state to, again, being a one-party state. Still a one-party state government That simple [More]

David Masters opinion: “Look to the important things in life.”

May 22, 2016 // 0 Comments

New Albany, Mississippi– The rules and regulations and positively inane and asinine “good intentions” and the abject results of bureaucratic entities are unlimited, nor produce any fine results or any remorse or any concerns about any of the frustrations and positively hurtful outcomes caused by [More]
1 2 3 4